Get widget

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Advising Patience - Guest Blog

Joella from Dear Delilah, Fine and Fair has graciously bestowed some of her knowledge and superior writing skills to my blog today. She speaks of something close to my heart...patience or the lack thereof. We work so hard to be patient with our children, but what about with other adults?
____

Before I became a mother, I wasn’t a terribly patient person. I played the role well enough, but beneath my patient façade there was always a volatile mixture of annoyance, agitation, and intolerance brewing. I could be smiling on the outside while screaming and writhing on the inside. Shortly after the birth of my daughter; that tide started turning.
I doubt that it is unheard of that mothers learn to be patient with their children. While hungry and sleep-deprived, and with floods of hormones surging through our bodies, we tenderly comfort and care for our babies, sometimes for hours at a stretch. This patience that I’m speaking of, however, goes beyond handling teething, nursing strikes, and sleep regressions with grace.
While I was both surprised and relieved by how patient I was with my daughter, I was downright flabbergasted by the patience with other mothers that started to develop. At first, I often found myself annoyed and offended by the well-meaning advice and suggestions of other mothers. Suggestions to get a newborn who didn’t know day from night on a strict schedule struck me as absurd. Being bombarded with questions about how well and where my daughter slept felt like an attack, and I couldn’t help but want to shout in reply “It’s none of your business! Is it YOU getting up with her at night? No? Then don’t worry about it!”
I slowly came to realize that other mothers; my own, my husband’s, and friends, relatives, and even strangers at the grocery store were only trying to help. Perhaps they remember that feeling that is so unique to new mothers, the feeling that you know exactly what to do, but that, at the same time, you have no idea what to do.  Perhaps they miss having a baby of their own to love and nurture. As my daughter grows and develops and I become more seasoned as a mother myself, I sometimes catch myself offering up unsolicited advice. I deceive myself, telling myself that MY unsolicited advice must surely be welcomed and appreciated; after all, MY unsolicited advice is RIGHT!
Mothering is a unique juxtaposition of internal instinct and external information.  While the internal instincts tend to be rather universal, the external information is ever-changing and often conflicting. The bottom line is that all of us do the best we can with the information we have available to us at the time. Whether that information comes directly from other mothers, from the internet, from books, or from doctors, we weigh it against our instincts and proceed with what fits best for us and our families.
Where does that leave me, as both a giver and receiver of well-meaning advice? As a giver, it means that I make myself available to new mothers, letting them know that I’m happy to answer any questions they might have. I withhold my advice until it is actively sought out, unless I notice a mother doing something that I know to be truly dangerous. And you know what? People DO ask. I take comfort in knowing that because the person sought my opinion, whether on breastfeeding, vaccines, baby wearing, co-sleeping, or any other manner of motherly topics, my advice WILL be welcomed and appreciated. As a receiver, it means I listen carefully and patiently, and then smile and say thank you. Again, unless the person is giving advice that is potentially dangerous, it doesn’t make much sense to argue.
In the end, there are very few parenting decisions that are black and white. We mostly choose among various shades of gray, trying things out and keeping or discarding them; developing our own parenting style that works best for our family. One day, when caring for babies and toddlers is a thing of my past, and I am that stranger at the grocery store telling you all about the benefits of cloth diapers and suggesting you ditch that Baby Bjorn in favor of a wrap, please be patient with me. Smile and remember that I was once where you are, and that I’d give anything to have a sweet-smelling soft little baby to love all over again.
****
Joella writes Fine and Fair, a blog of letters to her daughter. Fine and Fair is focused on the ups and downs along the journey of raising her daughter as a responsible citizen of the world with the values of compassion toward all living things, environmental responsibility, conservation, and celebrating diversity in all of its forms.
Fine and Fair can also be found on facebook and twitter.

 

___
I will be doing a guest blogging series on Wednesday, and I'd love to feature you. Feel free to contact me if you are interested!
If you enjoy this blog, please vote for Tales of an Unlikely Mother on Babble.com. We're number 15, just scroll down and click on the thumbs up.

11 comments:

  1. This is great and the end gave my first chuckle of the day.
    I hadn't really thought about patience with others, etc... but I've experienced it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny and so true about the receiving and giving of advice :) I really work to not offer up unsolicited advice as well. But now I find that I am often reluctant to really give advice even when asked because often it isn't really listened to... I just smile and ask questions and try to get the parent to figure things out how best will work for him or her. Such a dance, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 of my favourite bloggers mixed into one post?! Yay!!!

    This post was timely for me as today is one of those days that I struggle with the shades of grey. You're so right...the advice (while unsolicited and unappreciated at times) is precious if for nothing else than to connect with other mothers.

    I've chosen you both for an award, by the way...check it out, YOU ROCK!
    http://www.weeman.ca/2011/03/im-versatilesounds-almost-kinky.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice and interesting post for me!!
    Thanks for sharing this post!! Love it!!
    Social Anxiety

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. truck accident attorneys
    The guest blog "Advising Patience" is a thought-provoking and introspective piece that encourages readers to reflect on the value of patience in our fast-paced world. The author's relatable personal experiences and insights make the content accessible and engaging. The anecdotes and real-life examples effectively illustrate the benefits of patience and how it can lead to positive outcomes. The post eloquently conveys the idea that patience is not just waiting but an active and mindful practice. The guest blog maintains a balanced tone, offering valuable advice without sounding preachy. The author's ability to capture the essence of patience and the challenges of practicing it is commendable. The practical suggestions for incorporating patience into our lives are a valuable addition, providing actionable advice. The article successfully highlights the relationship between patience and personal growth and well-being. The length of the guest blog is just right, providing a comprehensive exploration of the topic without overwhelming the reader. The author's genuine passion for the subject shines through, making the content authentic and relatable. This guest blog serves as a reminder that patience is a virtue worth cultivating in our modern, fast-paced world. The writing is both eloquent and practical, making 'Advising Patience' a gem of a guest blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Orange Traffic Lawyer
    The guest blog, 'Advising Patience - Guest Blog', offers insightful advice on embracing patience, emphasizing the importance of patience-focused messages. It resonates with readers, encouraging positivity and calm reflection, making it a valuable read for those seeking mindfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great read! Really insightful and informative. Looking forward to more content like this. Keep up the good work frederick traffic lawyer

    ReplyDelete

  10. It seems "ParentWin" might be a parenting resource or product, but without more context, I can't provide a specific review. If you can provide more information about what "ParentWin" is, I'd be happy to help with a review or information about it chapter 7 bankruptcy lawyers near me

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...