Get widget

Monday, August 1, 2011

Recipe Monday - Pastina When You're Sick

We've been sick here all week. It's been awful. The one part of the day that became bearable was lunchtime, and it's due to this recipe. My kids hate lunch. Actually, they hate eating in general. But mostly lunch. Suddenly, out of nowhere, sick as anything, lunch became their favorite meal of the day.

Here's what happened. The day after we all got sick, I took out my star pasta that I had bought just for such an occasion. My husband saved me, though, and went out, instead, for Chinese, bringing us back Wonton soup.

The next day, I went to use that star pasta. It had disappeared. I still haven't found it. This happens to me so often. So, I had to improvise. I used alphabet pasta, simply because it was the smallest pasta I had. My annoyance at not having the right pasta quickly diminished when I saw how excited the babies were to eat letters as food. It was an event on par with holidays for them. Win.

So, here's the old Italian recipe. It's a quick and easy soup, ready in minutes.

You'll need:
Small pasta (star pasta is the original pasta, called Pastina (as I call this soup) in the grocery store).
Chicken boullion cubes
Eggs
Spring onions
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Salt
Pepper

Fill a large soup pot with water, and throw in four or five boullion cubes to taste. Bring it to a boil.

Throw in the pasta, as much or as little as you want, depending on how you like your soup. Cook on medium heat until the pasta is tender. Toss in the chopped spring onions. Then add garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste. If you need another boullion cube, don't be shy.


Now it's time for the egg whites. Don't let your children hold the eggs.


I thought I'd have a beautiful shot of my four eggs with just the yolks left for you. But then I dropped a yolk in the sink. And then I remembered that I'm not Martha Stewart.


Oops. Anyway, drop the whites in the soup and stir quickly to get that strandy egg-drop soup texture.



And...well, that's it. You're done. 20 minutes from start to finish. Not bad. Plus, we had enough soup to last us for a week, which happened to be just how long we were sick. The babies never complained once about eating it all up. I'm considering just making it all the time. Perhaps if I do, I'll never have a baby-induced headache again.




___
If you like this blog, please vote on Babble.com. Tales of an Unlikely Mother is number 17, just scroll down and click on the thumbs up! Thank you so, so much.

1 comment:

  1. ive never made this and my boyfriends mom made this once and it was delicious. can you add the yolk in as well? when she made it it had the yolk in it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...